The Bay Islands were amazing and quite relaxing but we wanted to get the real cultural experience of Honduras so we decided to stay a few days on the mainland. We started our journey back with a boat ride for a few hours. Then, onto a bus ride. Our taxi driver told us we were just going to make it on the next bus by just a few minutes. I had to pee so bad so as Damon bought the tickets I went to the bathroom. On my way in I didn't notice a man sitting outside the bathroom with little folded up toilet paper to buy. I will tell you I got the cultural experience I was looking for in the first drip drying minutes of being on the mainland!!
We had a bus ride and enjoyed fresh baked bread and fresh mango then relaxed in the hotel. After a nice sleep in a real hotel (I don't want that much of a cultural experience) we went to the market! I was so excited. Damon goes to these all the time so it was not a big deal for him except he was glad to be my barter man!

Now this sweet girl will stay in my heart forever. We bought almost everything from her. She was so excited for us to be buying her stuff her hands were shaking. She even cut her finger with a knife trying to cut a string for me to get something. I gave her a few band aids and I'm sure she thanked me in her Spanish. Damon barters away to then give her the full amount at the end. As soon as we give her money she calls to a boy to go get beans and tortillas. Next thing I know she gives us a key chain of thanks and she is eating her first meal in who knows how long right before me. I don't think she would have eaten if she didn't get a sale that day. Throughout our morning shopping she would find us, smile and thanks us. She taught me compassion and to count my blessings.

My favorite find of the day was a new apron. Damon's favorite find of the day was a hand carved wooden box. We had so much fun together.

We were just walking around looking at all the stuff with the sweet girl on the end in blue smiles real big and hold her hand like she is taking a picture. She wanted us to take her picture. I never turn down a will candidate and showed her how pretty she looked. No parents were around the kids were waiting around content and happy while their mothers were working at the market. These children taught me happiness and to count my blessings.

There were all these beautiful flowers lining the streets. Damon kept trying to buy me some but we were leaving the next morning so it was the thought that counts!

More kids wanting pictures and teaching us about happiness and counting our blessings.

Shane asked us to bring him back a pineapple but we couldn't so instead I told him a picture. The fruit was so fresh and so yummy. We saw miles and miles of Dole pineapple fields. We ate one on the island one morning freshly cut for only $1.50.

In the market there were ladies working away in a hot room making tortilla after tortilla. No air conditioning, I'm sure no breaks, no cushy pads to stand on just hard floors. These ladies taught me hard work and to count my blessings.

After the market we went to a museum and then the cathedral. It was beautiful.

If you are in Honduras and order a pizza this is what your delivery guy drives! So cool and would safe on gas!

Enjoying the park.

We had the best trip ever. We enjoyed every second of being together, alone. We loved the relaxing, the people, and the culture. It was an amazing trip I would like to do again. It makes you feel grateful for your blessings, your children, your life, and country.
5 comments:
Oh, my goodness!! How cool are you two? I'm so glad it was all worth it -- you'll remember this forever!
Wow. Amazing. I'm not even sure what to say except that just hearing the story about the girl with the shaking hands, and yelling that they can go buy food is something that is very humbling. I can't imagine actually living like that. What a great lesson.
And how FUN to go through that market! You'll have to take pictures of what you got there!
I SO want to go on this trip now.
Will you quit bragging about your vacation- it makes all of us SO envious!!! Just kidding! :-) So glad that you had such a wonderful time. Everything looks so beautiful and serene. Seeing how other countries survive really gives us perspective on how good we have it. Thanks for sharing!
Great pictures and documentation of your trip. The fresh fruit sounds yummy. I like Damons scruffy beard. An amazing trip that not many of us will have the opportunity of doing so thanks for sharing.
I love that you say what you learned from each of these people. I hope I get to travel to these kinds of places in my life! Its gorgeous out there!
Post a Comment