Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Back from Paradise

We are home after nine days of paradise. We are safe and we are more relaxed then ever! Our trip reminded me of days before kids. Relaxation. Thoughts of only each other. It couldn't have been better. We flew into the mainland of Honduras so we could experience the people and their customs. I love going to Central America because they are so kind to us. We are like celebrities walking around. There are always a few people who have the courage to say hi. Most just stare as the gringos walk by. We usually don't lift a finger as they take our bags, load the cars, or get us food. We became spoiled and lazy but the reality hit once we were home with Damon back to work and me cooking and cleaning! Here we are at the bus stop, trying to keep up with our guide taking us to our next stop.
Our plan was to stay the night in La Ceiba and take the ferry out to the island. However, we woke up the biggest rainstorm I have ever seen. We thought we had planned our trip perfect before the rainy season but the rain still came! Instead we got onto this tiny plane where my life flashed before my eyes many times!! We were rocking and a rolling with luggage all around us! The flight was so bumpy and the pilots didn't seem well equipped. The plane smelled of gasoline and I don't think I have said so many prayers in my life! We made it to ground and we are able to laugh about it now.Once we arrived on the Roatan Island we made it to our beautiful resort and got acquainted with our neighbors and got right into our suits.The storm had passed and we pretty much just did this our entire time on the island.It couldn't have been more beautiful and more relaxing.Damon did a lot of this. It's crazy to be in a third world country and still be able to chat with friends on Facebook.As for me, I enjoyed every lazy second in my hammock reading my books. Here is the view from our bungalow.

Each morning we would wake up and go for a walk down the beach. My favorite part was the freshly raked sand. We were only with a few others walking on the beach too. It was amazing to have uninterrupted time to talk with the love of my life again. The things we take advantage of with kids around!

This is pretty much the lifestyle we had while on the island. The natives were kind and always helpful. They even spoke English so I didn't feel too confused and lost.

We spent our days swimming, relaxing, and enjoying the sun. Then we spent the next while picking out where we would go to lunch. One day we had the best Honduran food of fresh tortilla with beans, salsa, avocado, and meat when we met some parrots that wouldn't let us eat our lunch! Each day when we were done with lunch we would go back to swimming, relaxing, and enjoying the sun until dinner.
The best part... coke in a glass bottle! It tastes so much better even if it's Coca Cola Light instead of Diet Coke!We had taken a water taxi to the other side of the island and Damon asked the driver about fishing. Always trying to make some money he said he would take us and we decided to go along with him and go fishing just like the locals do! Check out that "pole."

Damon had luck and caught some things. It was crazy, we never caught the same type of fish.


I didn't have any luck but enjoyed being outside instead.


This rock tied to a string was our anchor!

One day we went horseback riding through the jungle and then on the beach. It was just Damon and I with our guide. The jungle was amazing. All the banana trees, coconut trees, huge palms, ferns, and flowers were beautiful!



These are the types of pictures you get when you ask someone who has never used a camera to take your picture! He was so nervous to take our picture but he got what mattered in!!!

Lazy days were pretty much what we did. We snorkeled each day. Damon is like a little kid on Christmas morning in the water. He loves to explore and dive 50 feet to the bottom. Me, I'm more cautious and stay at the top. I last about 20 minutes while Damon is always out at least an hour! We saw so many beautiful fish, king crabs, a sea turtle, eels (YUCK!), and the worst part jelly fish that stung me ALL over! It didn't hurt too bad until the next day I was itching like crazy!
This is where we would eat breakfast every morning. Enjoy our afternoon drinks. Relax. Watch the sunset.

I thought I would be ready to leave but guess what? I didn't want to go home. If we didn't have 2 darling boys waiting for us we may not have come back! We enjoyed our last walk on the beach before we packed up to get our cultural experience on the mainland. The greatest part of traveling is the friends you meet along the way. We said our good-byes and loaded our stuff onto the ferry.



We'll be back. The Island was too perfect to not enjoy again someday. I'm hoping that someday will be sooner rather than later!

16 comments:

j- said...

How on earth did you find this place? It sounds wonderful- makes me want to plan a nice long vacation with Jim... you guys are so cool!!

Dasdel said...

Looks like an awesome vacation for the two of you. I hope the reality check of real life back in Vegas isn't too overwhelming... haha
The fish Damon caught are very cool looking. And the beaches look beautiful!

craftyashley said...

Wow! (can't wait until kids are old enough to leave with the parents)
That place is beautiful!

Pike's Place said...

What a wonderful vacation!!! I'm so glad you had such a relaxing time with each other.

KB said...

WOW! I am just relaxed reading this post! I saw a House Hunters International about a couple from Idaho that purchased a hotel there and moved there kids in tow- sounds tempting... Glad you had fun and glad you are back (even though you are probably not)!

Tara said...

Amazing. After looking at your pictures, wishing it was ME in that hammock, seeing all the relaxing beach pictures...I want to go there now! Perfect vacation!
Glad you guys had such a good time! But I'll warn you now, if you go again, I'm sneaking into your luggage. ☺

Cyndi said...

WOW what a NICE trip. Sounds like a wonderfully relaxing time.

Monson Family said...

Aaaahhhhhh! I am relaxed just seeing your post! What an AMAZING time you guys had! Next time, invite your favorite sister and bro-in-law (ME and CHRIS!!!!). LOVE ALL the pictures! That first one took my breath away! Gorgeous!! You guys both look so great! Man, what a little relaxation can do for you! You look beautiful! Love the lighting in the one on the hammock!! My goodness, I just love them all! I am so glad you had SUCH a WONDERFUL time!!!!!

Donna said...

All I can say is "WOW!"

ElRae said...

Okay, soooo jealous. That is what a vacation is supposed to look and sound like. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time and welcome back!

Donnie and Kristi said...

Holy crap, that is amazing. I can't even hope to someday go to a place like that! I'm so jealous!! Agghhh!

Kerry said...

LOVE IT! How gorgeous do you look!! I am so happy you had the best time and your boys were just fine!! Glad you're home!

Jodi said...

Amazing...
What an incredible vacation.

Moose and Family said...

I am so jealous! It looks like you had the most amazing time. Thanks for sharing the great photos!

Cassi Moise-Shaw said...

I'm so jealous! That looked like such an amazing trip.

marisa said...

I want to go to this place too! Please post details on how we can find it. It looks like pure paradise!