Monday, July 30, 2012

Guatemalan Blessings






When thinking of a third world country such as Guatemala I would think of poverty. Families with nothing. The thought of helping these families is dear to my heart with Damon's foundation, Brite Blue. I knew bringing 250 pounds of supplies and helping people in their homes would bring blessings to them but what I did not realize is the blessings these humble people would bring to me.
When bringing out bags of small toys for these kids you would think it was manna from Heaven. The smiles of joy on their faces and seeing them jump up and down in anticipation of what toy they would get next was priceless. The kids would hug and squeeze the toys for a few minutes and squeeze them tight against their chest not letting the toys out of their hands. After awhile the kids would disappear into their home and hide their treasures in a safe place. Watching the joy on each and every child's face over something so small blessed me. Their simple happiness from toys given to them from my niece, nephew and friends in the United States made me proud of every ones generosity.

Watching moms with their children blessed me too. I couldn't understand what they would say but you could feel the love. Songs were being sung and kisses given.  We spoke with our eyes as only one mom could do to another mom. A thank you was given with a look of gratitude.  Relief was felt when warm blankets were given to babies and shoes were placed on their barefooted children.









While in Guatemala I realized how similar we all are. We may be from different countries, speak different languages and have different cultures but as parents we are all the same. We want the best for our kids. Going to home after home visiting the students of Brite Blue I saw a reacurring theme, gratitude and love. The love and gratitude expressed by these parents is something I will always cherish. I could not understand their words but tears formed in my eyes as we sat in home after home with dirt floors and fire for a stove. The joy on their faces as we came to visit was priceless. In each home parents told us of the blessings in their lives and how grateful they are for all they have. Just like me, all that really matters is your children and the blessings they bring to you.


After this trip I couldn't be more proud of my man, Damon. I knew Brite Blue was doing good with sending children to school who would otherwise not have a chance. They provide shoes, uniforms, tuition and a hot lunch through their foundation, Brite Blue. However, after seeing the impact he and his other foundation members have on their lives I couldn't be more proud. Donations from our family and friends make this all possible. Gratitude by everyone involved is an understatement. Gifts were made and so much love was given and it made me proud to have a husband with such a compassionate heart willing to bless these beautiful families. Seeing grown men cry as they expressed their gratitude to Brite Blue is something I will never forget.


 My heart fell in love with these little girls. We couldn't talk to each other but through smiles and hugs we communicated. We all had a hard time learning each others names but we did and the girls were proud as they called our names.  Each time we pulled up to their home they would run and greet us with hugs and wouldn't let go of Julie and I.

I do not know why I was born into a home with such wealth compaired to these kids. I have never know hunger and have always been warm in the comfort of my home. I have never REALLY needed anything- just wanted more. But after this trip I know I am going to start wanting less and giving more.

2 comments:

Lynette said...

Tricia, your beautiful pictures and thoughts touch my heart very deeply! Thank you!!

KB said...

What an incredible experience!