It's amazing how different farm living is from city living. The boys were so much more carefree and ready to explore. They didn't need me or sometimes even want me by their side the way they do here in Vegas. Both boys loved the bouncy rides in the back of the pick-up on the farm.

One morning Cowboy Grandpa wanted to take us out shooting. The boys had a blast! We rode out in the truck to the edge of the farm to the edge of the Platte River and shot into the river. Trevor so dearly missed some toys to play with and found great comfort in stacking the "blue rock" before it was thrown over the river to shoot!

Daddy has so many wonderful memories on Aunt Ada's farm. Grandpa took Damon here shooting many times and he still enjoys it!

We didn't get a picture of me throwing this contraption but it would have been a sight. Damon sometimes forgets that I'm 100% girly girl and PROUD of it! I had to throw them and I just couldn't quite get it! After many tries I finally got it. The sad thing, Shane was much better at throwing them then me! The next day my arm was sore so I guess it is a good workout.

Cowboy Grandpa and Shane ready for a launch!

While on the farm Trevor found a new friend, Mr. Hoppers!

He guarded Mr. Hoppers for a long time but sadly, no he didn't die, but he got away. I really, really, wanted a picture of one of the boys kissing Mr. Hoppers but they wouldn't go for it even when I offered them 5 bucks!

Uncle Morris came back to the farm just as we were finishing up our shoot-out and this is when we became "Official Farmers!" I about died at our conversation. It started out with the regular Hi, good to see you and then Uncle Morris went on to say, "Oh man I have had a day. You know how neighbors get mad when the bull gets out and ruins their corn fields!" Sorry, but no I don't know this! Yes, I know if the dog gets out or the kids leave bikes out making a mess but no BULL! So we enjoyed the relaxing slow pace of the farm for about 2.5 seconds and then got put to work!
The boys loved every second of this "work." We rode with the Farmer AKA Uncle Morris on the Rhino (in Nebraska they use the Rhino for WORK not PLAY!) This is the story: property lines meet, both farmers put up a gate, the gate is cheap, a mad bull makes a run for it and ruins the gate pretty bad, city folk come help Farmer fix the cheap gate and do other farm chores.

Ohhhhweeee! Look at that sexy farm hand! Daddy drove the truck carrying the good STRONG gate.

Damon and Uncle Morris fixing the gate. You should have seen that city boy workin'. He didn't look much like a city boy with his gate fixing skills. Well, minus the clothes!

As we were INSIDE the gate the boys and I were playing in the fields while THE MEN worked and I realized something...

YIKES! We made it out safe and Shane even got to drive the truck with Daddy.
Once we were done with the gate Shane and Trevor checked all the electric fence posts were in tact (no I didn't let them get close) and then we were on to feeding the pheasants. The boys tried catching some with nets with no luck but Daddy got one to show them up close.

One problem: FLIP FLOPS! Shane is a CA kid at heart. He will only and I mean only wear flip flops! I gave up buying him other shoes because he won't wear them even in the winter. Well, on the farm you ALWAYS need to be ready for work! I must redeem myself and get this poor boy some new cowboy boots!

Once we were done with the farm chores we went to go see the buffalo. Daddy opened the gate while Uncle Morris took me and my boys in to see the buffalo and NO this isn't on zoom either! He was casually telling me about them (we were driving in the rhino) and I was frantically in my mind planning on how I would protect my babies if we were charged at! We thankfully made it out to later hear from his wife that she would never go in with the buffalo! **Look at the cute baby only 2 weeks old.

The next day, Grandma and Grandpa took us on a drive past the farm to the sand hills. The pioneers went right through this area on their way to Salt Lake City. Behind Damon (he's hiding it) you can still see the original track marks from the trek the pioneers made from the handcarts! Amazing.

Trevor and Shane "reading" about the pioneers.

We went to visit a grave of a pioneer baby when we stumbled across a different kind of farm...

Damon could not believe it. As far as the eye could see was WILD marijuana growing! This wasn't for harvest I guess it just grows wild out there! Damon couldn't resist taking a few pictures.
After many days and many memories made it was time to go home. We stopped in Denver to see Damon's uncle and family and had a great night at dinner and fun then it was off to the beautiful Colorado mountains to do Shane's favorite...camping! However, he has never been camping and we really staying in a cabin we had a perfect few days together. Well almost perfect, if Trevor hadn't gotten altitude sickness that is!
6 comments:
There's nothing like a farm -- my cousins live on one, so I sort of understand the lifestyle (very un-Vegas). What sweet grandparents you guys have! What a blast! And, man, that trip could have taken a whole other turn if you weren't so law-abiding . . . all that marijuana just begging to be used. :)
Loved reading all about your trip. What an experience.
How fun...everything. And I about freaked when you said you were actually that close to the buffalo! (I wouldn't have been able to listen to what Cowboy Grampa was saying about them, and only in "Momma Bear" Mode. You're crazy!)
Yeah, you need to find Surfer Shane some cowboy boots for his next visit on the farm! You can't be fixin' a fence with the Rhino in flip-flops. Ü
What a great adventure. It looks like ALL your boys enjoyed the GREAT trip.
How fun! I love all the pictures to document all those great times!! So cute that Trevor caught a frog! And of course Shane and his flip flops! Too cute! I am glad you had so much fun and that you are home safe!
I found myself so engrossed in what the next picture and story was going to be on this post to Farm Country! I am sooooo glad you guys got to go do this wonderful trip to see Damon's Cowboy Grandparents...what an super experience for the boys. I especially enjoyed reading about everything from the perspective of a true-blue girly girl (since birth)! You always were 100% GIRL, which made this post so darn FUN to read! I even teared up it was written so cutely...I could feel your experience and 'city folks' perspective about each situation there. What an adventrue for 'my little girl'...and her little boys. How GREAT that Damon was able to share this important part of his childhood with you & the boys. Hey, and why don't the local PD's get RID of the mary jane? Kids could be pilfering that and getting high....now they (local PD)can't be THAT kicked back can they?
I love all the pictures...Damon & his grandparents will be one to cherish. So many different experiences there....loved how you compared and contrasted your farm experiences there with your 'city reality'.
Post a Comment