Sometimes while out shopping I find something I cannot live without. Something perfect I must have. Last week while shopping I found this amazing red cabinet I thought I needed so desperately. Instead I realized it was time to buy Damon's ticket to Guatemala for his annual trip in November to place more children into school through
Brite Blue. I started to feel sorry for myself and the cabinet I would have to wait to purchase. How quickly I forget how blessed I have been until I started looking through pictures of past trips and guilt quickly came over me! These children are amazing!
As another school year has drawn to a close and we have had the joy of reflecting upon the many successes of our
Foundation. During this last year we successfully enrolled many kids into school. These beautiful children have grown in ways completely unimaginable a few months and years ago. We have had the awesome pleasure to watch these children grown and learn the basic skills of reading, writing and math. Many of them are now using computers which were donated to the school and sending emails.

Damon lived among these children for 2 years and grew to love them. One girl left a major impact on him and his partners this young girls name is, Jessica. They worked with her father for months. They visited her home and had dinner with her family until her father was killed in 1999 over a small plot of land he owned. Jessica was left with her mother to work and find food to survive. Years past and Jessica grew but the 3 Americans never forgot her. They always wanted to help her but never knew how until they all finished college, got jobs and realized the only way out of poverty was through education. It was then their hearts came together with a firm belief of One child. One Mind. One chance. Making a difference in this world one child at a time.

It seams like yesterday Damon started this foundation with close friends. We wondered if their efforts would be worth the sacrifice. Damon and his friends each give up vacation time from work, buy plane tickets and hotel rooms, spend hours arranging the many children's schedules, conference with teachers, review progress reports,
fundraise, and sponsor multiple children through school all because they want to make a difference in this world one child at a time and the sacrifice seems little when you look at the rewards of each child.

I can go around my house with AC, hot water, and electricity to cook our dinners. These mom's are worried about food for their children not the next vacation to take or if we have cute enough clothes for the new school year.

Since
Brite Blue has been formed there have been tears of joy and hope from these parents. The kids get uniforms for school, backpacks and supplies, hot meals, and the chance to learn all tuition free because the Foundation pays for their education from the many generous donations received. The amazing part of
Brite Blue is the sacrifice Damon, Matt, and Mike make to ensure all of the money goes right to the kids. How many non profit organizations do that? This little guy, Christian, has traded in his machete in the field for a backpack at school. He wants to be a police officer like Damon. He still cuts wood for the fire as you can see, but he does this after his homework is finished!

These children can act as children and have fun learning. The
Brite Blue foundation has reached out to some of the poorest children on earth. These children have been loved by these men and have been given the unimaginable gift of education free of charge. They now study in the finest private school in the area. Their happiness cannot adequately be described.

Without
Brite Blue they would be stuck in poverty without an education.

In Guatemala education is usually for the privileged. Public education isn't really an option because the teachers don't show up for class most of the time! Many kids need to help the family so they aren't able to go to school. A year tuition for many families is almost their yearly wage so they cannot afford the $500 it takes for a year of tuition. I'm proud of Damon and his friends because now these promising children can be the first to go to school in their families and graduate to become the people they have always dreamed of being.

I know I'm a teacher and love seeing the joy on a child's face as they learn but there is something more magical knowing that these children are learning from my sacrifice, our sacrifice. I'm proud of Damon, Matt, and Mike for making that difference and give others the opportunity to make a difference one child at a time. Without them I wouldn't have ever thought of these children. I would have continued to live in my bubble worrying about my red cabinet, vacations, and if I should cook dinner or just go out. I have hope in my heart for these dear children that are no longer forgotten.
5 comments:
It really makes you remember how good you have it! It just brings tears to my eyes when I think of how happy these kids get over school supplies. I am glad to be a part of it in a tiny way. We are so lucky to live in our country and have all the rights and privledges that we do. Thanks for reminding me, too.
I can't wait to show this to Derek. He needs to get involved with Damon and the other guys. He is finishing his last year of residency, and we're moving up to Sunnyside, WA next year, where he'll be treating a high hispanic population-- (lots of migrant workers)-- he's really excited to continue serving central american people. But of course it's not quite the same as GOING to Guatemala. So we'll have to get them back in touch. Way to go-- what great work you're doing!
I LOVE it! I love the post and I LOVE that you guys are such good examples to your kids! Damon we are proud of you and all you have done for these kids! I will sacrifice something and send in a donation! :) But obviously not as much as you guys sacrifice...but a little help. I am proud of you! We love you guys!!
This is so neat! I was in awe of Damon before, but this seals it! What a great man you have. You're a big part of it, too. Without your support & the support of the other wives, things would be different I'm sure. :)
You guys are awesome. I'm glad that you have enough support to help those sweet faces.
Post a Comment