Thursday, September 25, 2008

A change in perpective

Many of you have heard me tell the story of the ultrasound I had to find the gender of Shane. If you haven't I will Share it. When I was prego with Shane I just knew, knew, KNEW he was a girl! I had his named all picked out (Addison Mae) and would rub my belly and say, "Oh, my little Addie, I love you so much!" I dreamed of dresses, bows, and playing Barbie's with my baby girl! When I went in for the ultrasound we were so excited! I really thought what is the point I already know it's a girl. Once they told us it was a BOY Damon had to sit down because he was about to pass out from his excitent. Me, on the other hand started to cry! I never really thought about having a boy and my new life flashed before my eyes! Bugs, dirt, the great outdoors, guns, stinky boy sweat, trips to the mountains... YUCK! I am a girly girl and love projects, pink, and pretty things. Almost 5 years later my new life isn't so new anymore. While we were in Colorado we hiked with 2 little ones back around a lake to some falls with me in the WORLDS UGLIES boots (I'm never prepaird for the great outdoors. I don't even have the shoes for it. Once we got there I was in big trouble for only having flip flops! This was all I could find in town but I don't think the bears care how ugly my shoes are!) and my perspective on my not so new life changes.

We are outdoors with the peace and beauty of the mountains. My sweet Damon couldn't be full of more pride as he teachs his boys to fish. We don't have any luck at first so he goes off to catch a fish and brings it back to hurry and drop his line in the water to let Shane and Trevor think they caught a fish. The joy on both of their faces is priceless and something I never want to forget. I don't want to forget how Shane never tired of fishing. He followed Damon everywhere with the net in hand to put the fish in. He didn't cry when he fell in the river and got wet with "stinky fish water" because according to him he's a real fisherman and they like that!


Trevor loved his fish and couldn't keep his eyes off it! He thought he was pretty cool to catch a fish just like Shane's!
Daddy went off fishing to find the native trout were spawing. Something I guess is a chance in a lifetime and couldn't have had a better time. With almost each cast he was catching the most beautiful fish (yes, I can't believe I thought they were pretty but look below!). We let him be in his element and fish his heart out! In the mean time I'm entertaining the boys, being eaten alive by bugs, sat in sticky sap, found a HUGE spider on my arm, and ...



my perspective changes. My sweet Trevor brings me a flower, we searched for bugs that are not so yucky anymore, threw rocks in the water, climbed up trees, had a little picnic together and I realized I was doing all those nasty boy things I thought I would hate but am having a good time, well a great time!

I love my boys and the complete joy they bring into my life. I love being the girl who gets all the flowers, being their first love, and having each of them hold my hand as we hiked around the lake and I wouldn't change it for the world.
After 5.5 hours Trevor was tired but my biggest boy was sad to go! We had a snack and then off to hike back around the lake.


We waited too long and Damon didn't care and didn't complain once when he had to do this most of the way because we had a perfect day together as a family.

Notice how the leaves were already starting to change. It was so cold at night and each morning when we woke up the leaves were getting more colorful!
Shane ended up walking but Trevor slept in Damon's arms the whole way. At one point Shane was so tired and asked, "Why did Dad do this to us!?" Silly boy I see a little of me in that comment!
Don't worry I still got to do my girl thing. Since I endured the great outdoors and fishing for 5.5 HOURS we stopped in St. George at my favorite craft store and I got to shop my little heart out for those pretty things I so love while my boys waited paitently in the car. I love my not so new life and look forward to the many new adventures I will share with each of my boys.

11 comments:

Moose and Family said...

That is a very nice post! It looks like you had a wonderful vacation enjoying some time in the great outdoors. What a breath of fresh air it is to leave behind our busy and overscheduled lives to "go back in time" and enjoy the simple things in life!

Pike's Place said...

Awwww . . . what a nice post. You are the best boy mom, ever! They're such fun, and you make their lives so fun. I'm glad you had such a great trip. And I'm impressed at Damon's patience and endurance . . . he needs to teach Jer some of that. :)

TAMMY ELIZABETH said...

Such sweet pics of Damon and the boys. You always seem to be enjoying your boys!

Donna said...

How sweet was that post??? I'm tearing up right now! You have to put that in their scrapbooks! Their wives will appreciate it anyway! :)

Monson Family said...

that story and those pictures are absolutely beautiful!!!!! I think you are pretty lucky to have the cutesy boys around!! I am loving your 80's boots. They are so hot!! I am glad you had such a great time. We love you guys.

Cyndi said...

Sniff Sniff...that was a beautiful post. You have a WONDERFUL family! and 3 boys who think you are QUEEN. That looks like a wonderful day. What a special experience.

Erica and Curtis said...

I love your sweet post and your cute family. This looks like a memory all of you will want to keep forever.

laurdacooj said...

I'm laughing as I read your blog:)... I hear you! With Cannon I was POSITIVE he was my little Annie, I kept having dreams and "mothers intuition" I guess I don't really possess that quality:). What a fun vacation, and now as my boys are getting bigger, I wouldn't change a thing- they are so much fun! I was just laughing about this to Russ, telling him I'm glad he's around, if it was just me, these boys would be so wimpy and would just get to shop and do crafts all the time with me with out any "dirty fun boy stuff". Ha ha! Damon is such a cute Dad too, I love the fishing story")

KB said...

Tricia- you made me cry!!! That was one of the most beautiful posts I've read! Boys are wonderful... If you take a cue from Norah, girls still like bugs and icky things. So, your not off the hook for that stuff- you just have more hair to do and clothes to iron with girls! Boy or girls, our children are unique in their own little ways- it is a joy to see them blossom.

PS: Can I borrow those fancy boots?

Tara said...

My favorite post yet! You totally made me cry. I LOVE your perspective! Just beautiful!

Amy G said...

Tricia - I can so relate to this post. The picture of where Shane has his back to the camera is gorgeous and if you printed posters of that print I would buy one!

Before you know it you'll be home alone while all the men folk are on a scout campout! My boys are off camping/fishing tonight and tomorrow. Yeah for free fishing day!
Thanks for sharing your great day!