Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Nebraska...living the good life!

We are back from our trek to Nebraska and we had the best time! The drive was long and Trevor now doesn't like cars and screamed today when I put him in the car to pick up Shane from pre-school! Poor boy. I don't blame him we drove over 3,000 miles in 10 days!

Farm life is completely different then the city life we live. It really is living the good life! Everything is slow paced, relaxed, simple, and kind. Yet everyone is constantly working and having a good time! Things are different on the farm and sometimes parents who ALWAYS require a car seat forget it on the farm because it's so cute to see your 2 year old's head pop up over the back seat of the old pick-up driving away with pride on his face with great grandpa!


I love a clothes line! There is something about the clothes blowing in the wind to dry that I just love! Even though my clothes would dry in about 2 seconds in the Vegas summer heat I don't think I could live without my wonderful dryer! Damon's Grandparents have a dryer but don't really ever use it. I'm sure I was the first person to use it in years. Shane and Trevor loved the clothes line for other things. They loved chasing each other around and playing in the towels as they hung to dry.

Trevor's favorite part of our trip was the kitty. Cowboy(as the boys call them) Grandpa and Grandma don't have a cat but this neighbor cat is always around. I think Grandma and Grandpa are going to have a hard time getting rid of it now. Trevor drug that poor cat around everywhere and the cat was so nice to him! One night Trevor and I were the only ones inside and I think I kicked the cat out 3 times and Mr. Trevor must have let him back in each time I turned around!
The boys loved Grandma's HUGE garden! They would get their buckets and walk around trying to find some food to pick and eat!


When Cowboy Grandpa showed them that carrots grew underground they could not believe it!


I have never seen a watermelon so big! We loved having fresh vegetables and fruit each night with dinner! I wish so bad that I could have a garden here in rotten old Vegas!

After washing up the carrots (part of the fun because you get all wet!) the boys would enjoy the feast! I don't think they have ever eaten anything but baby carrots so they loved the big carrots. Each day they would run outside to pick and eat more carrots!


Great Grandma and Shane washing up the watermelon.


We went to the park one day and had a first, a teeter totter! Sad to say but the boys had never been on one until now and they sure loved it!

We picked up corn from the silo that you feed the cows with so we could feed some ducks and deer at the park. Shane wasn't too into it but Trevor sure was. He fed them one kernel at a time which ended up taking FOREVER until Damon helped out and threw handfuls at a time.

Great Grandma and Grandpa are 83 years old. I cannot believe how much they do each day! How lucky are my boys to have them play and push them in swings at the park! They loved all the attention they get from them.


We truly are city folk. Trevor wasn't too happy about this cow pie out in the fields! It was almost as big as him and he just stood there plugged his nose and said, "Stinky!"

One thing I love about Great Grandma's house is her wall of 6 month old babies! The boys loved it and loved picking out Grandma Young, Daddy, Uncle Josh, and themselves! Shane couldn't believe his friend Norah from Vegas was on the wall too. (She really isn't but he thought one of the babies looked like her!). Both Shane and Trevor would stand at the wall and Shane would teach Trevor who was who (after I told him of course).

We are back to our busy city life but enjoyed the good life while we could. I'll post more about the farms we were on too! Although vacations are great it is good to be home and sleep in our own beds. We actually slept with no kids last night which was a first in a long long time of vacation land.

7 comments:

Donna said...

How fun! Isn't it amazing how differently people live across the country? I'm sure Trevor and Shane will have great memories of their great-grandparents... especially after you scrapbook all those fun pictures. Can't wait to see more pictures.

Donna said...

A comment from Kelsie:

I think the picture of Trevor plugging his nose by the cow poop is funny! See you on Saturday. I like when you paint my hands to make Piggies.

tjgjforpstptyooyt[rttrnjrjttu hhoglhljhljhjllhjklkjkjjk;jk'k'jh
kelsie
(personal typing from Kelsie)

TAMMY ELIZABETH said...

Love all the pictures. It must have been a nice getaway. Love the picture of the HUGE cow pie and Trevor plugging his nose.

Dasdel said...

What a nice family vacation. I grew up visiting my grandparents ranch in Nebraska every other summer. It was a very long drive from Ventura. And I too loved my grandma's garden (great memories)

j- said...

Aunt Lynette's parents look awesome!! I hope to be as active as they are when I am their age!! (Shoot, who am I kidding, I wish I was that ambitious now!)
CUTE pictures!!

Cyndi said...

What a WONDERFUL trip. It looks like the boys had so much fun! I love all the pictures. Those are some special memories with their great grandparents.

Tara said...

What a priceless vacation...so many experiences they won't get living in Vegas.
LOVED seeing all your pictures, and feeling what it must have been like "down on the farm."