Sunday, January 11, 2009

Not good enough

Yesterday was a great day. Nothing extraordinary but a calm Saturday. The boys and I played, cleaned up the house a little, went to Sam's and then started dinner. While we were waiting for the chicken to boil to make broth we decided to go for a bike ride. It was a beautiful January day. The boys were giggling in the back and I was enjoying listening to Lenka. Sometimes I take my life for granite. You know food in my tummy, money in my pocket, a roof over my head. I always seem to want more, much more. However, yesterday I didn't want more. I felt pure joy being home with my boys. Knowing I didn't have to go to work on Monday. Knowing my biggest problem at the moment was figuring out how to get 2 big bowls of chicken noddle soup to sick friends without spilling it all over my car. I felt so carefree and happy as we cruised along. Growing up I always wanted to be a mom and have fun with my kids and here I am living it. Living the dream. These darling boys of mine fell asleep and they looked so snug sleeping together. I ended up riding longer because I wanted them to get a little sleep in! We made it home and I finished up dinner. We delivered the soups and guess what? I didn't spill. Damon was working late so I dished us up some soup once we got home. Shane was so excited for chicken noodle and so was I. Homemade soup is the best and I even made the broth with a rotisserie chicken and found semi homemade noodles at Sam's!


Shane had one look at his bowl of soup and declared it was NASTY! How dare I give him something made with love because I guess it was just not good enough. He went on a quest for REAL chicken noodle and finally had a victory. Good old Campbell's never lets a boy down.
He traded his bowl in for this and was happy. Trevor was happy with cereal and then a cookie or two. I was happy to have dinner made, kiddies fed, and almost bedtime.

I tucked my 2 little boys in bed and waited for Damon to get home. My day had seemed perfect minus the normal messes, fights, and tantrums but I was missing something, someone. 4 hours of overtime was good and he was on his way home. He just needed to stop at the hospital. This is usual for Damon because he is always there with a victim or suspect but this time it was him. I was living my fairy tale and he was hurt! My perfect day turned into not so good. Now that he isn't working patrol I often forget he is still in danger. I haven't had a hurt call in over a year and now I feel blessed. Blessed to have him home safe with his split eyebrow and the luck of the hospital having dermabond on hand so no stitches! Maybe everything about my day was good enough even though Shane still won't try my soup!

8 comments:

MnM's Mommy said...

Isn't funny how the simple things are overlooked in a busy mom's day? Thank you for inspiring me to reflect on my perfect days.

Donna said...

What a great post, Tricia! I loved it. Hope Damon is okay.

You still need to tell me what your word is!

Pike's Place said...

It seems like the more time I spend on a meal, the less likely the kids will eat it. :) Jayce would totally go the Campbell's route like Shane. Fun post, Tricia! I'm glad you love the bike trailer.

Stephanie Young said...

That was a great post-- I sometimes stop and reflect ( when I find time ) and remember what this is all about. That's funny about the chicken noodle soup- Madisyn wanted my mom to make some homemade clam chowder Saturday- so I bought all the ingredients and I almost licked my bowl clean because it was so good and Madisyn ate 2 bites and handed it to my mom - I think she was thinking of something else. That's okay more for me!!! Yum!

Monson Family said...

Oh my goodnes! Them asleep! That is too cute!! How cuddly and cute is that! I love it! Glad you had such a good day! And doing service and everything! What a great girl you are! I'll have Shane's bowl of soup! It looks delicious!

j- said...

Your soup looks yummy!! Your beautiful january day caught me off guard... people have those? January days around here are not walkable weather!! I am so jealous!! I can't wait to get back to the gym!!

Sounds like you had a perfect day- what a great thing to recognize!!

Tara said...

I'll second Lanae's offer to have Shane's bowl of soup...looks delicious and as you are describing it, my mouth was watering.
I LOVE your picture of the boys in the trailor!!! What a sweet moment! Sounds like a beautiful day...and luckily Damon was okay as well. (Not that spliting your eyebrow ISN'T a big deal though! But he will be okay, and is safe...that's what's important.)

Gramma Stewie said...

How did Damon get his eyebrow split? Glad the dermabond worked...not stitches...better for the face.

What a trip down memory lane...your post seemed nostalgic, but I did not realize it was the finish you put on the pictures until you mentioned it. I enjoyed the pictures...and hey, I like the pictures in B&W with the trim. It was just wedding pictures that surprised me at the time, but that was a LOT of years ago. I've adapted. :)

And making soup...it's a good thing! Even if if the boys did not appreciate it. Give them time, when they are teens, you will be making soup by the gallons!

You are carrying on the Beebe tradition: teaching yourself to become a soup maker....my gramma was big on soup making, my mom was a GREAT soup maker, and I enjoy making soup too! Soup is delicious and really stretches the dollar...once a week all winter long? Sounds good to me!