Thursday, July 2, 2009

a sign from above

Sometimes I have this problem with judging people before I even know them. For instance, one of our neighbors who I thought might work it on the streets. Come to find out she doesn't and is super nice. Most recently I have found some new friends while camping this week-end and all the judging I have done before has gone because these girls are wonderful! Crazy, I know. Who would have thought we'd be hanging with the pligs for hours while camping? They were just as curious about us and we were of them. They answered all my questions and changed my view on polygamy. A sister wife would be nice to help out around the house but that is about it, so don't worry I won't be converting!
They even did my hair! Seriously, my hair done by a real polygamist. We didn't have hairspray so we couldn't do the front the same but the mothers were impressed by my new style.

Some of the girls are so secluded they have accents. They use different terminology for things like they "comb hair, our MotherS and Father, and they call themselves the children." When I told our new friend she should do hair when she grows up she glowed. I don't think compliments are given much in their culture and they loved hearing us tell them how beautiful their hair is.
Can anyone else out there say Warren Jeffs niece has done their hair into a french braid?


At first I couldn't believe they were by us. We took pictures in the down low.


Taking them from afar but after awhile we were all comfortable posing for a picture.

These children are fascinating. Here are some things we learned...
  • There are 44 children in their family, 3 mothers, and 1 father.
  • 24 rooms in their house and 13 bathrooms
  • They make 15 loaves of break twice a week
  • They choose what color dress to wear and make them all
  • Some girls don't like to sew so they don't
  • They clean the baseboards and door knobs daily
  • There is a drinking fountain the their home
  • The girls choose to have long hair
  • After 8th grade they choose if they want to continue on with school or to stop. This doesn't mean they are an adult because I asked and they laughed at me and thought I was crazy that I didn't know it was 18!
  • They buy food at Costco and WalMart.
  • They can fruits and veggies from their garden.
  • They get dairy products from the town dairy.
  • Computer and TV use is limited.
  • Some children had seen movies others hadn't. It is up to the family.
  • They couldn't name all 44 siblings and forgot some!

Life is interesting. They told us we could visit in Colorado City, which I think we may. When I asked them how many kids they thought I had they said 10. They couldn't believe I had only 2 and said I need to have more. They told us they love having a big family and someone to always play with. We made their day and they came back for hugs and good-byes. I cannot believe how much I was wrong. Like all groups in our society there are always creeps who hurt people but for the most part they are kind people. The children were happy. They were the most respectful and helpful children I have ever met and because of this I will always respect them and not judge those around me.

13 comments:

Pike's Place said...

Fun, interesting post! I think we're all guilty of judging too quickly, so your post was a good reminder of how we should be. Cute pics -- loved your new look, too.

By the way, I was thinking the other day how it's been forever since I've talked to you. . . I miss Tricia!

MnM's Mommy said...

What a great learning experience! The idea of a sister wife really doesn't sound all that bad...but that is as far as I would go too!

Dasdel said...

Wow! What an amazing camping trip for you guys. Morgan has been fascinated by polygamists. She has taken pictures on the down low too and cruised by their neighborhoods. She always lets me know when she sees them out and about. Good for you for taking the time to get to know them. And not just stare and joke :)

Morgan said...

My roommate and I went through Colorado City over memorial day weekend when we went to Zions. We said the whole time how much we wished we could have talked to them (we were to afraid because we didnt look so welcomed :/) But its so interesting to see that you were able to get to know them a little. So cool!

Shannon said...

How neat! Other than in the news, I've never seen polygamist families. Though their choices wouldn't be mine, I've always felt the majority of them are some of the most kind & respectful & meek group of people out there. How else could they all get along otherwise?! I love that you shared this & am amazed at how much you learned about them. Thanks for sharing. :)

Three Guys and a Gal said...

Thats awesome! I loved that post! The pictures were great. Youre hair was also amazing!!:)

Monson Family said...

BS - You converted! Damon brought one of them home and you KNOW it!!!!! I can not stop laughing about the hair!!!!! I WISH you had hairspray so you could do that wave thing in the front!!!! You are hilarious and I am absolutely certain you made their day! So sweet! You are SO great with kids and know how to help they feel loved and special!!! I loved the picture of the kids in the water. I guess since you respect them so much now, you guys will need to respect their wishes of you guys having more kids! :)

Jodi said...

That is so random that your camping neighbors were polygamists! I'm so impressed that you took the time to get to know them and get your hair done.

KB said...

It is sad that Warren Jeffs has really tainted these people that think that they are just doing what they should. You should read that book I told you about- it is very enlightening. It is always humbling, but nice to be wrong about stuff like this! :-)

j- said...

Tricia! You are so funny!! Seriously I can't stop smiling, you guys are so awesome!! What a great experience real life handed you!! And how great that you made friends with them!! (They must've been like- they only have 2 kids!! They live in Las Vegas!!!)

I just wonder how in the world is possible for 3 women to have 44 children?!! Did a few wives leave? Those numbers are crazy!!

Amy G said...

I was checking out your newer post with sweet sleeping Trevor and then paging down to see if you had anything else new. Something about the way I looked at your first picture with this post that made me think that another cool thing about these children is they're probably the closest thing you'll get to meeting somebody with a pioneer outlook or ideas - you said that some of them can watch TV but for the most part they don't really have any worldly influences - and they don't read fiction -etc. I don't know now i'm just rambling - but there was something about looking at those littlest of girls that made me think of little pioneer girls and when I look at little girls at the mall I kind of think the polygamists do have a few good ideas!

Mr & Mrs Leo & the 4 Little T's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr & Mrs Leo & the 4 Little T's said...

Absolutely love this post! What a neat experience, and you sure know how to wear that braid, lol! Miss you guys, hopefully we'll see you soon!