Monday, November 12, 2007

Brite Blue Blessings

Damon and his missions buddies arrived back from Guatemala today. I don't know who feels more blessed after this trip, the sweet girls they put through school our Damon and his friends after seeing how these people live. We are all so blessed to live in this amazing country, we are given so many opportunities. I tear up looking at these pictures and seeing the joy we have brought into their lives. Thank you to EVERYONE who gave a donation. Without you we wouldn't have been able to put these kids through school. If you didn't donate, it's not too late! We would like to double the amount of kids we sponsored this school year so make a donation today to Brite Blue Foundation. Ladies from my ward, the school supplies were a hit! The kids loved everything. Look at their surroundings and you can see that these kids are grateful for even the smallest book, package of crayons, or paper. I love the little girl in the bottom left hand corner. In all the pictures she was just hugging her books and supplies. Damon said she wouldn't put down her new prized possessions all day.

As a teacher, I was in shock after looking at this picture. I will not complain at the "No" school supplies I think we get. This is the private school and the VERY best school around! Look how bare the room is and yet look how thrilled the girls are that they get to attend this school! The mother could not believe these white boys were paying for her daughter's school. She almost couldn't accept the donation. When they were paying the school all the mother could think about was that was more than her yearly wage!


The founders of Brite Blue, Mike, Damon, and Josh along with 2 of the girls now going to school because of an idea and help from others.
This is one of the girls kitchens. This is where she lives, dirt floor and all! It's funny, Damon brought back some gifts for the boys and everything smelled of campfire. I remember this smell when Damon came home from his mission. Most homes have a fire going in the middle of it so everything smells of campfire!
This was one of the nicer homes Damon lived in on his mission. It's cute, better then dirt floors and fires for a stove, but still no warm water!


I am going to have to go back with Damon. Guatemala is one big picture! Every thing you see would be the most amazing picture. Look at this family going home after a day of shopping!


Count your blessings tonight. Remember how blessed each of us are and pay it forward!

8 comments:

Monson Family said...

WOW!!!! That is SO COOL!!!! That picture of the girl just so giddy about sitting in her desk! So neat! And the little girl holding on with all her might to the notepad! Seriously, I almost started crying! Hey, and I know of someone else who is blessed! You and your boys having their Daddy back home...who is a hero in MULTIPLE ways! Yes, you need to go next time to take gorgeous pictures!

Dasdel said...

Its nice to know that Damon cares so much for the people in Guatemala still. Alot of people talk about doing good things, Damon acted on it. This has got to take Damon off the naughty list for sure :)

Pike's Place said...

Wow! So cool! I admire Damon for doing that -- and all the help you've provided to the kids as well. We really take everything for granted, don't we? Anyway, thanks for sharing the pics! You would rock the house down in Guatamala . . . your pictures would be fabulous!

j- said...

I am so proud of you Damon!! And you too Tricia and the boys for helping and supporting him in this great cause!! What a great example you are to all of us!

I am so proud to be your cousin!!

~Nance

j- said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

The first word that comes to mind: AMAZING! I'm so impressed that Damon is doing this.
That girl hugging her notebook...seriously I started tearing up with that and the girls SO excited to be in that classroom. (Puts a whole new perspective on how lucky the kids in YOUR class are!)
I can't believe that the tuition for that girls education is more than her mother makes in a year! That's sad. Really shows how much of an impact it can have on someones life.
And YOU ARE RIGHT about everything being a picture!

Jodi said...

So impressive...This is proof that individually we can change the lives of others, a lesson we all need to be reminded of.

TAMMY ELIZABETH said...

That is awesome! Damon is amazing!