Friday, January 23, 2009
Mat sat.
I don't know how it happened but my boys are growing up too fast. Each day they amaze me at what they are learning. I just can't believe that Shane will be 5 soon. I'm seriously thinking about homeschooling (NOT really) because I don't want him to go to Kindergarten yet! He hit another milestone a few weeks ago and it started the same as bike riding. So here is how the story goes.
Shane has been asking for as long as I can remember to read. Recently this reading thing has been a major topic. He asks and I say later. He asks more and I say later. He began to "read" books to Trevor and was pretty good at what he had memorized. Damon pointed out that I'm a teacher (I have already forgotten about that part of my life!) so we headed off to get some Bob books and guess what?!?! We had success!
I had my reservations about a 4 year old ready to read because he can't even write all his letters yet! He could care less about writing. He is in to letter sounds and numbers. He loved it! He read book one over and over with some help but mostly on his own. I had to make a rule of a new book every 2 days. We are on book 4 of these simple books and he is still enthusiastic! This week we are going to start sight word cards with a few each week. Shane thinks he is sooo grown up reading and all. He told the neighbors, Daddy, his teacher, and pretty much anyone that would listen. I have to agree, he is pretty grown up reading to his mommy now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Sheesh -- that's so impressive! Yay for Shane!! What a smartie!!!!
I laughed at your teacher comment. Non-Mommy life seems like forever ago!
How did little Shane turn into this big boy? I loved his phone call telling me that he can read now! ohmygoodness! That is wonderful and amazing. You never know, huh? He knew he was ready, didn't he? Great work, Shane!
It's crazy, right? We moved to NC and they told us Marlys was old enough for Kindergarten, so...at 4 years old, she starts Kindergarten. It took about 2 months and the girl can read ANYTHING. It's amazing to me. Here's a cool site to push the learning a little more: http://www.starfall.com/n/level-c/index/load.htm?f
Great job Shane! Rylan's favorite book is The Three Little Pigs. She has memorized the whole book except one page word for word. It's amazing what these little minds can do. Ms. Dolores is going to be so proud!!
Yeah Shane! What a big boy! It is too sad how fast these kids grow! Thanks for the recommendation on the Bob Books. Sadie is loving them, which I was shocked by! So thanks!
Oh my GOODNESS he can READ?!?!?!?!?!? That is insane. I can't believe how BIG he is. I'm sure it is so special to help your own child learn such an amazing skill. GOOD JOB!
you are such a great mom! i need to go check these books out, I've been slacking in this department! I agree with you... it seems like a past life not having our great boys!!! way to go Shane!
So "Bob Books" huh?!? Never heard of them until now. I might have to check into them. But Allie's into drawing right now, so we'll see. I was just seeing one of those "my baby can read" things on TV, and wondered what I could do to help give Allie a headstart.
Shane, you are SO smart! You're totally like all the BIG BOYS in school that know how to read. Wow. Think of how smart you will be once you are IN school! ☺
Oh, and GOOD JOB Tricia, for knowing about the Bob Books, seeing that he was showing an interest...acting on it, and giving him the opportunity! You're an awesome mom!
Yeah for Shane! We loved the Bob books!!! I don't blame you for being tempted to do home school -- they're only little for a little time!
Gotta love those Bob books! Kyla learned to read with those. See ya at Scrapfest!
Post a Comment