Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Blessed Microwave

Every day I would warm up hot chocolate for breakfast, chicken nuggets for lunch, and there is always some bean or veggie to heat up to in the glorious microwave for dinner. I did this not knowing life before the microwave. However, as a young girl I'm assuming around the age of 6 I remember when "this new place called Price Club AKA Costco" opened up and my parents brought home a microwave. I don't really remember much about life before a microwave and how hard it was until almost 6 weeks ago.

I was cooking those blessed chicken nuggets for a quick lunch for 2 hungry little boys when the door wouldn't open. I knew it was broke the second I hit it and moved on to cereal. I didn't know or realize I would soon become a real pioneer. Now left overs are always good in my house. Yummy food twice in less than 2 minutes, if you have a microwave. Look at my sink with 5 pots and pans to warm up left over Chinese food! Besides all the dishes it took almost 20 minutes to reheat!

This is a picture of our NEW microwave. For those of you who are familiar with my house this looks just like our OLD microwave and it is true. Built in's are pretty but a HUGE pain when you need to replace something. We special ordered a new microwave and waited and waited for it to come in and find out it didn't do it's job of warming things up instead it just spun the food around in circles. So we ordered another and waited and waited until yesterday.
Now I feel spoiled. We will be cooking from the microwave and no stove making up for lost time. After lunch today Shane told me our new microwave cooks chicken nuggets way better than the oven does! We can have popcorn again and I will enjoy less dishes. The blessings have come to my house in small form and never again will I under estimate the power of modern inventions.

13 comments:

Julie said...

score!! nice and shiny new microwave.

i remember getting our first microwave as well. my mom got it for christmas one year and it was massive! microwaves have come a long way since then.

Kerry said...

I don't know how any of us could live without a microwave!! They're the best!

KB said...

My first thought was: no popcorn?!?! Bless you pioneer heart! I remember our first microwave and trying to cook everything in it just to see. They are truly a modern miracle!

craftyashley said...

I'm going to give my microwave a little hug today. I can't imagine life without it!

Amy G said...

We didn't get a microwave until I was in college - and then it was an old hand me down. It was ginormous. I think my mom realized it did serve a purpose and soon my folks finally bought a new one.

When I was younger 12/13ish and babysat for people if I saw they had a microwave I would bring microwave popcorn with me the next time to fix a treat for all of us (I of course cleared it with the parents) it was just such a new thing to me too. I shouldn't confess this next thing but one time I was babysitting a family and had to fix them hotdogs - the mom told me just heat them in the microwave. So the time came to cook them and after I got all the kids a dog we realized that it might be fun to see what happened if we cooked them for 5 or 10 minutes. hahaha - I can't remember how many hotdogs we exploded but those kids thought I was the coolest babysitter ever - and I'm sure their mother wondered why we ate so many! hahaha - don't worry I cleaned up the evidence.

Pike's Place said...

I'm glad you're re-entering modern life! Isn't it great?

Monson Family said...

YEAH!!!!!! I am so glad you can enjoy such wonderful luxuries ones again!!!!! Tell Shane I bet this one DOES cook chicken nuggets better!

Three Guys and a Gal said...

Our dishwasher broke last week so I too have been reallize how much I love being modern. Washing dishes by hand is not that fun!! I am glad you got a new microwave!!

Dasdel said...

Yes we are spoiled and I wouldn't have it any other way! Enjoy the ease of micro waving once again!

Tara said...

Seriously, I don't think I could LIVE without a microwave...it would be SO annoying!
Congrats on finally geting a mivrowave back!

Gramma Stewie said...

First: FUN POST...pans in sink, nice touch! I never thought about you remembering when we got our first mircrowave....but your story reminded me of the exciting day! Your kids will say "you were alive when they didn't HAVE microwaves??? Mom, you're ancient". I have the same (first memory) of when I was about 8-10 years old and we got our first COLOR TV! It was amazing, but only a few of the TV shows were even shot in COLOR at that time! Grandpa's show, Bonanza, was one of them....I'm sure that is why we got it! Our cartoons were still in black & white...as were MOST shows. Memories....

Gramma Stewie said...

I said First, and forgot to say my second....to AMY: was that hot dog episode by chance at our house???? We do that with marshmellows and easter peeps (they are the best). They are fun to watch expand in the microwave!!!! But I don't think we have let them explode....you were always a FUN babysitter!

Amy G said...

Claudia, would I tell you?!?! ha.ha. Actually I think the family's name was Dean - not the Deans that are in 3rd or 4th ward - she was really tall and slender and she was an organist. Maybe their name was Hales. It was a looooonnnnggg time ago! I do remember they lived in Todd Ranch.