Monday, November 24, 2008

And the questions begin!

Shane has a friend at Pre-school who's mom is pregnant. The questions have begun. This is how our conversation went.

Shane: Mom, when are you going to get a baby in your belly so your tummy can be big.

Me: Not for a while, ask your dad.

Shane: How does the baby get in your tummy?

Me: Umm, Daddy puts them there.

Shane: Oh.

A few minutes of silence and I thought I was safe.

Shane: How does Dad get that baby in your tummy?

Me: Ahhh. I don't know he just does!

I didn't know what to say! He's only FOUR! Where did my sweet baby go? I'm not ready for these talks. I want him to stay little and be with me forever.
Shane during bath time 5 months old.
He told me while driving around last week that when he gets big and moves into his own house he won't move too far away! Thanks Shaners. I couldn't stand not having year near, but for now stop the questions and be my little boy a little while longer.


Shane- October 2008

8 comments:

Three Guys and a Gal said...

Okay I am laughing so hard tears are coming out! Jaxon my four year old asked me "the questions" about a month ago. YOu were so much better at answering then me!! Your boys are so cute!! I will be waiting to hear the update for when you get that baby in your belly!! LOL

Tara said...

Seriously the CUTEST picture. I love that hat!!!!
Why can't they stay little for longer?

craftyashley said...

That is such a funny story! Good luck with that one!

Pike's Place said...

They do grow up too fast! How cute is Shane, though? VERY!

Dasdel said...

I swear its odd to have these talks when they are young, but if you don't start now when they ask it only gets worse when they are older. Explain it simply and they only remember what they are curious about on that day. You don't have to have charts and graphs and a big ole sex discussion. Thats not what he is after. Kids LOVE talking about where babies come from. Go get some books at the library or Barnes and Noble. There are great simple books that both of you can enjoy.

Cassi Moise-Shaw said...

Emma tells everyone I am pregnant now. As soon as she turns six the baby is going to come. So I am constantly having to explain I am NOT having a baby.

She wants a sibling so bad, isn't it funny how they do that. She too, asked how it got there, and where the heck did it come out of. Yikes! To much for me.

Jodi said...

Wow, you dodged a bullet there. I love baby Shane, what a cutie.

j- said...

He's growing up!! You handled it well- and then you say You need to ask your dad... a few months ago I was putting laundry away int eh boys room , after they were in bed and Dalton (He was 7) said- "Mom I have 2 balls on my pee pee). I kept my composure staring into the closet- and said "Yep- you do they are called testicles. He said "What do they do?" I said "honey, I am not sure, because I don't have them, but we can go and ask Daddy" The next time I went into the room to put more laundry away Jim and Dal were on his bed staring up at the ceiling and I heard him talking about seeds- and then Dal asked 'Well how do the seeds get in Mommy's Tummy.... " Jim answered, "we'll have to save that discussion for another night" I know HE has to have the talk with HIM soon, but it is a hard thing to prepare for as a parent- I told Jim he can take care of the boys talk- and it better be good and exactly what I would have said!! Ha ha- You did great... and I am sure he's forgotten all about his little querie...