Sunday, November 2, 2008

Travel Tips to Guat

I just got back from dropping Damon off at the airport for Guatemala. He is so excited! He has one small carry-on for his clothes, etc. and then a HUGE backpacking backpack full of school supplies, candy, marbles, soccer balls, and 2 Speed Racer cars from Shane. He picked out 2 toys for Daddy to give to a boy without any toys. This took convincing because he didn't want to let go of those cars but he did and I can't wait for Damon to bring home a picture of one happy Guatemalan boy with those cars! We'll miss Damon but we are so proud of determination, kindness, and hope for these children in Guatemala.

If you have never been to Guat let me give you some advice to make your travels safe but fun...

1. Don't get any decorating advice while in Guat. The color purple is lovely but please no purple house in the US!

2. Stay away from these guys. We were in the jungle once in Guatemala when out came these guys from the bushes. We had no idea they were in their all day long!
3. Embrace the smell of campfire because you will smell like smoke every day! Count your blessings to have more then ONE light in your home, non dirt floors, and a "stove" that doesn't require wood.

4. Don't buy Guatemala art unless your wife is there to pick it out! This original piece of work found a home in Damon's office at work. I am noticing the art on the top left hand side of the picture, now this MAY be cute! Do search high and low to find your wife an authentic Guatemalan Nativity set. I so hope you find one this year Damon, HINT, HINT.





5. Do enjoy these precious children. Have fun giving them toys and playing soccer. Let them know how bright and special they are.



6. Do take a picture next to a native Mayan. How AMAZING! I'm sure I would be complaining if I had (and could) walk 2 minutes with that load on my head! I want a picture of Damon with her and she would look really tiny! **This is Matt. Ladies he is single and oh so kind, generous, and adventurous. Let me know if you are SINGLE and ready for a hook-up. :)





7. Enjoy the Native people and their customs. Take pictures of their way of life. They help you realize how blessed we are to live in the United States.



8. Realized how blessed you are. When your only option is the cement block for a bath you realize how nice your warm showers are. This is where you bathe, wash your dishes and clothes!


9. Do enjoy the trip with JUST THE BOYS because if you want to go in the Spring I will be there. I need to do some serious picture taking and some jewelery shopping!




If you ever need a travel buddy to Guatemala I know where you can find some. It is eye opening, life changing and thought provoking. Thanks to each and every one of you for your generous donation. Mike attended a graduation today and this would have never been possible without these men and your donations. The best travel tip while in guat is to have fun. Here that Damon? Enjoy your trip and know that we are proud of you and already miss you like mad. We are counting the days until you are home giving us all kisses! Be safe.

7 comments:

Donna said...

I needed another reminder that he was leaving so soon! It snuck up on me! We'll have to donate through the Brite Blue link since I know he'll be going again. That is so awesome!

Donna said...

Very creative post, by the way! Those are amazing pictures.

Pike's Place said...

I hope the trip goes well -- what a great cause! Way to go, Damon!

Monson Family said...

So fun! Damon, we are so proud of you! what a great thing you are doing for these kids but also what you are teaching your own! Good job Shane!!! You are so sweet! I can't wait to hear all the stories and see the pictures! I wish you get your nativity Tricia!!! I will be jealous!

Tara said...

I hope lots of people donated, and you guys are putting through lots of kids this year!
What a great trip! Seeing all the kids faces when you bring them all the supplies, & Shanes toys, and putting chidren through school! I can't wait to see a picture of that one girl that wants to be a nurse...graduated and in her uniform! (The reward for all your efforts!)

Dasdel said...

Tricia ~ I'm reading 3 cups of tea right now. Its a really good book about a man who builds schools in Pakistan before 9/11 and some details leading to 9/11
The man in the story feels a need to educate pakistan children especially the girls. If you like reading I highly recommend it.

laurdacooj said...

You guys are totally AWESOME! I can't wait to hear how everything goes, what a wonderful cause... you guys ROCK!