As a teacher I loved Veteran's Day. No, it wasn't because I got a day off of school (that was nice though!) but I loved teaching my students about the true heroes in our country and spend a week learning and honoring them. I am surrounded by heroes. With Damon, his dad, and brother being police officers (ONE retired!) we respect those who keep us safe in America but that is not who we honor today. Today we honor our Veterans. The sacrifices they have made and their families have made. I am lucky to have Veterans on both sides of my family. Both my grandpas fought in World War II and my Grandpa Beebe fought in the Korean War too. This I am thankful for. While in Nebraska we were able to see Damon's Grandpa's Purple Heart. It was amazing. The purple ribbon and the golden medal teaching my boys how blessed we are to have men like their Great Grandpas so we can live in a free country.

Here is how Damon's Grandpa earned his Purple Heart. This is his account in his writing:
5th Marine Division
28th Regiment
15th Wave
We landed on the beach on February 19, 1945 in the morning hours under fire. We engaged the enemy and for the next three days we did not eat or sleep.
We attacked Mount Suribachi and engaged the enemy. I was present and witnessed the famous flag raising.
We then fought our way across the Island. I was shot by a sniper on March 12, 1945 two days before the Battle of Iwo Jima ended.
Love, Grandpa

Shane and Trevor sensed the awe and respect we have while we showed them the medal. I'm glad their Great Grandpa was able to show them his purple heart.

Let us take time today to honor those men and women who keep us free. Who help others who were not blessed to live in such an amazing country. Thank you for all you have done and continue to do to bless America. Happy Veteran's Day!
6 comments:
What a great post Tricia, how neat to read the account in his own words. What a great way to teach our kids how and why we respect our country and it's vetrans. BTW_ my kids are all in school today. I am not sure if they get a day off, but this week is Patriotic Week.
Wonderful post, Tricia! We do need to remember the sacrifices made, so thanks for the sweet reminder.
I feel SO PROUD!!!! I know, it is amazing to think about all that they went through so that we can live how we live today!
(sorry, another comment). I read the book "Flags of our Fathers" -- the Iwo Jima flag raising story. It really changed my life . . . I couldn't believe how horrible the conditions were. That's impressive that your grandpa was actually there. I couldn't imagine getting through something like that.
Wow! What a cool great-grandpa. Thanks for the reminder of how lucky we are.
Awesome tribute! Thanks for sharing it.
Post a Comment