Thursday, December 18, 2008

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

We have had an eventful last 2 days. There were over 4 inches of snow dumped at our house on Wednesday! We have been busy with snowball fights, sledding, snow angels, and eating of snow but only snow that is white!


Snow was suppose to come on Monday and it never did at our house. So on Wednesday when they said it would snow again I didn't have much faith! The snow began around 11 a.m. but it was not sticking. The boys were not impressed by this at all! Shane kept insisting it wasn't snow but dust.


We played outside for awhile but my two Vegas boys didn't last too long. Back inside for lunch and then Shane to school.


While Shane was in school I Trevor and I went to the grocery to get some food and when we came out the snow was starting to stick!!! We had to get festive and stop at Starbucks for some hot chocolate! When we pulled into our community the palm trees were beginning to be covered in snow!


As soon as we walked in the door Trevor and I danced around about the snow. Then Trevor ran to the window to watch for a while then realized.... "It's Christmas, it's Christmas!!! I want to open presents!!!!" From the Christmas movies he has been watching it snows and then it's Christmas. Poor thing couldn't open any presents yet.
Now it was time to get Shane from school and the snow was coming down and sticking good. Living in Vegas we are not prepared for snow one bit. Now slow plows no nothin'. I decided to be safe and leave 1 hour early instead of 30 minutes to get Shane. It ended up taking me the full hour to get to pre-school with all us slow drivers and the crazy snow! I just couldn't believe it I felt like I was in Utah!! Here is Trevor on his way out to pick up Shane.



Once we had Shane in the car it took us 2 HOURS to get home from school instead of 30 minutes! It was crazy and the traffic was so slow (which was good). We even had to have a potty break where as I got out of the car my door hit a tree and snow piled down upon my head!! When we finally got home it was outside for a snowball fight. Well, first I went sledding down my driveway!!! I love it and couldn't help myself. Damon got home soon after and was ready for the snow. It took him 15 hours to get home from AZ instead of 4.5.




Look at all that snow!!



Here is my house covered in snow. There is a walkway going up to the door but nowhere to be seen.

This morning we woke up to snow sliding off the roof and water dripping. It was already melting!!

I was crazily (is that a word) talked into going sledding at 7 a.m.!! That is early at my house since we all pretty much sleep in until 7:30 or 8. Late nights make for early mornings! I was so glad Maren talked me into going early because it was perfect. School was canceled so we made it to the best park with the biggest hills (in the spring we go ice blocking here) for some private sledding and snowboarding!!! Shane loved every second of it. Well, until he face planted it into the snow. His poor little face has red marks and a few scratches all over it and some on his back too! He didn't want to leave and had to go down one last time with Maren before we left.


Shane, Gabe, and Ella having the time of their lives with all this snow!


Trevor and I went down many times but we were having too much fun for pictures. He kept saying, "more, more!" When I tired and more kids wanted to use the sleds (from good ol' college days) Ella took Trevor up and they held hands all the way up. It was so sweet.

This was the biggest storm since 1979. We had a blast but it ended too soon. There is basically no snow in our front yard but some remaining in our back. Bad mom I know, but we didn't make a snowman yet! We'll have to wake up before the rest melts and make a little snow family. Instead we made snowmen out of marshmallows tonight!!

10 comments:

Monson Family said...

OH MY GOODNESS! That looks like so much fun! It's so exciting when it rarely happens like that! And a record since 1979 (what a great year!). It's crazy to see everything covered in snow! I am glad you all had so much fun!

Three Guys and a Gal said...

Can you believe the snow!! It dumped on us here in St. George too! I was not so happy about it!! Snow is NOT my favorite thing!! Your boys were too cute all buddled!!

Dasdel said...

What cute pictures of your boys playing in the snow.
I saw some crazy pictures of Las Vegas on MSN with snow around casinos and everywhere. Morgan said flights were diverted from Vegas to SLC because they had no snow removal equipment. I love the picture of the palm trees and snow :)

Pike's Place said...

I was so sad I couldn't join you guys sledding -- too much to do before the trip. Wasn't the snow fun, though? What a blast!

Morgan said...

How fun! The snow looks so pretty in pictures, I have a hard time enjoying it when i'm in it. haha.

Tara said...

I can't believe that you guys got to take these ppictures IN Vegas...crazy!
What a fun Mommy to go sledding, and actually go down the hill with Trevor! Wish you had a picture of that! ☺
What CLASSIC pictures! "Remember when it SNOWED in Vegas?" -Love it!

TAMMY ELIZABETH said...

That is awesome! I cant believe you guys got so much--it looks like Utah. Looks like your boys had a great time!

Cyndi said...

That is just INSANE! What GREAT memories that will be. Glad everyone was safe and had such fun times!

Erica and Curtis said...

I am so glad you guys enjoyed it too. It was such a rare treat for sure and your pictures captivated the blissful joy of kids enjoying a snow day!

j- said...

I cannot believe all of your snow!! What a great memory!! Whenever Tommy talks about Las Vegas he calls it "Hot Vegas", which cracks us up- so I can't believe all of your snow in Hot Vegas!!